Portrait Photographer – JobID#103
Closing Date: ONGOING
Posting by Jeremy Martel – Owner
We are a rapidly growing business that requires a positive and dedicated portrait photographer to join our team. As a photographer for our studio, enthusiasm, superb customer service skills and being a team player are key. Along with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment. Strong computer skills and the ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency are also required. This is a growing part of our studio and we are looking for an individual that wants to have the opportunity to be at the fore front of building an industry leading portrait studio.
Must live in the Calgary area
(will include, but not limited to)
- Acute adherence to studio’s brand and brand experience.
- Photographing all portrait work for the studio (maternity, newborn, family, toddler, cake smashes, corporate headshots, glamor portrait sessions, and events).
- Creative set design for themed sessions and shoots.
- Conducting gallery viewing sessions with clients.
- Maintaining a relevant product selection and collections for shoots.
- Managing the end to end delivery of images and print products to clients.
- Managing portrait session schedules and bookings.
- Managing and responding to client inquiries and issues in a timely, responsive manner.
- Assisting in the preparation of client images, files, and posts for client meetings.
- Arranging client meetings (venues, preparing printed materials and handling schedule changes).
- Following up on client meetings and entering notes in contact management system.
- Assisting in writing and processing client/prospect letters, proposals, and contracts.
- Shipping and receiving client products and arranging pickups.
- Preparing and placing client product orders with our print labs.
- Scheduling social media posts and maintaining audience schedules and trends.
- Integrate pre-templated or pre-written content into blog and/or social media posts.
- Receiving, scanning and sending out mail & registered mail.
- Ordering and maintaining the supplies for the office.
- Other duties may be required.
The following is a list of the skills we would like you to be able to demonstrate.
- Proven background in sales.
- Proven photographic experience, specifically related to newborn and family portraiture.
- Current knowledge of the latest photographic trends, technology, and software.
- Proven knowledge of working with studio and off camera flash lighting equipment.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-starter, quick learner and critical thinker.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong command of the English language both written and verbal.
- Experience managing high-value clients and their expectations.
- Have a professional attitude towards clients and other professionals.
- Ability to break down complex situations or problems.
- Ability to deliver positive, solution-based responses to customer inquiries.
- Ability to work with a high level of discretion and be able to work independently.
- Ability to work in a systematic fashion from a very detailed pre-defined process workflow without missing steps or details.
- Ability to master complex and detailed workflows that span multiple software applications.
- Ability to rapidly adapt to technology and social media changes that alter or change our studio’s processes.
- Working knowledge of social media and social media strategies is an asset.
- Basic understanding of video standards and terminology is an asset.
The software that is listed as a “Must Know” is exactly that. The software listed in the nice to know category is only a bonus as we would be happy to train you in each of these software applications.
- MacOS Operating system.
- Must be proficient in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop as well as action based workflows and Photoshop plugins.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Mail management applications.
- Basic working knowledge of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
- Working knowledge of WordPress.
- Working knowledge of (Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIN, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, and Pinterest).
Nice to Know
- Tave Studio Management Software
- Buffer and Hootsuite
- Schedule Gram
- Basic working knowledge of social media hashtags
- Basic HTML coding skills
- Basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- 1-3 years of photography experience. That being said we are willing to work with the right individual to help them gain this particular set of knowledge and skills.
- 2 to 5 years sales experience, if you don’t have this then sell me on why we should hire you.
While the following list would be nice for someone to have we are willing to work with the right individual even if they don’t yet have all the necessary gear. The following is a list of what you would most likely eventually need.
- Have your own reliable transportation (Must have this)
- Full frame Nikon, Canon, or Sony Camera
- 35mm prime lens
- 85mm prime lens
- 24-70mm or 24-105mm lens
- 70-200mm lens
WORKING HOURS & PAY
Monday – Saturday from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm (or sundown)
Sunday is optional
Type: Contract work
Compensation: Commission based pay
Hours: Your hours will vary based upon the number of clients we are bringing in and on the efficiency of and the ability to deliver on our business workflows. I’m guessing at the start you will be averaging 40-70 hours, with the goal of moving the portrait studio down to a manageable 40 hour work week. As this is a growing part of our studio the right candidate must be able to provide an initial input of extended hours.
INTERVIEW & HIRING PROCESS
The hiring process will be conducted in three rounds.
Round 1: Application
- You are required to submit a cover letter, resume and professional portfolio of your work.
- I would like to see 5 of your best in camera shots and 5 of your best-edited portrait shots submitted as a PDF.
- I would also like to see a link to your online portfolio for us to review.
- In your cover letter if you can please tell me a little bit about your process of creating a photo.
- Each application will be review by the JM Photography team and a selection of the applicants will be chosen to move on to the next round.
Round 2: Phone Interview
- For the phone interview, only the successful candidates will be contacted.
- The phone interview will be mostly behavioral with a focus on your sales ability and experience.
- We will also go over your photography background.
Round 3: Face to Face interview
- This round will consist of two parts and will be with the studio owners Jeremy & Jennifer Martel and our studio manager.
- The first part will be a face to face interview where we will get to know each other and you will present 3 concept plans for themed portrait sessions.
- The second part will be a photographic art test where you will go out and shoot a mini session of the owners and their 3-year-old son. This will be done on your equipment with the studio’s camera cards.
None at this time.