Associate Editor – JobID#201
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting by Jeremy Martel – Owner
We are a rapidly growing business that requires an individual that can thrive in a fast paced environment. Our editors will handle a wide range of styles as each of our client’s work is unique. Strong computer skills and the ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency are required.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate their editing expertise, has a keen eye for details, loves providing great customer service, can anticipate client needs, can work in a collaborative environment with both our team and our clients, enjoys a challenge, and is willing to learn/create new processes and techniques.
The ideal candidate is/has:
- Currently pursuing a career as a professional retouch artist.
- Past customer service and/or technical support experience
- Formal classes, training and experience in retouching using Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity in modern photography retouching and in preset creation.
The learning curve for this position is 2-3 months as this position requires a solid understanding of photo file management, file transfer applications/methods, Lightroom and Photoshop. The ability to take and action constructive criticism is a must in order to meld our business processes with each studios unique style and needs. We have carefully created instructional videos for all studio processes, once comfortable with accessing and utilizing these videos it is important to use them to help work independently.
These responsibilities will be completed using our current platform and knowledge along with your creative new ideas. As well as your skills from past work/personal experience and formal training.
Will include (but is not limited to):
- Be able to turn around any shoot in a 5 to 10 day time period.
- Support and/or sales calls with prospective clients.
- Time and efficiency tracking for process optimization.
- Other duties may be required.
The following is a list of the skills we would like you to be able to demonstrate.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to re-produce consistent results.
- Efficiently cull a shoot down into a given range of photos, consisting of the best images from a shoot while still telling the story of the session or wedding.
Standard Lightroom Edits
- Application/creation of a single preset for entire library.
- Basic panel tweaking for the following adjustments, exposure, colour temperature and tint, highlight and shadow compensation, contrast, saturation, vibrancy, and clarity.
Deluxe Lightroom Edits
- Starts with standard preset and adjustments.
- Addition of custom presets to tune the image to a Black and White edit or add some level of a tint, tone, filter or curves adjustment.
- Cropping and image straightening.
Premium Photoshop Edits
- Starts with standard preset and any deluxe adjustments.
- Once the Lightroom stylization is complete images are opened in Photoshop.
- These edits include skin softening and contouring, adding texture overlays, dodge and burn techniques, vignetting, HDR applications, and very basic slimming and minor element retouching.
Our Platinum and Signature Edits are handled by our Senior Editors
Candidate must have their own laptop in order to work both at home and within the studio when needed. The software and technical requirements are split into two lists below. The first list titled “Must Know” is exactly that. The second list called “Nice to Know” is only a bonus as we would be happy to be flexible regarding these requirements..
- Be proficient in Photoshop and in composite work.
- Be proficient in Lightroom and in the use of presets.
- Have a working knowledge of popular presets and editing trends.
- Have your own computer equipment (MacBook Pro, iMac, or PC workstation).
Nice to Know:
- Have your own plugins and actions for Photoshop (this is a nice to have).
- Have your presets for Lightroom (this is a nice to have).
While I strongly believe that the right attitude and mindset is the most important part of being successful in this position having the listed experience below is an asset.
- 1-3 Years experience in editing for clients.
WORKING HOURS & COMPENSATION
Monday to Friday from 9:00 am till 5:00 pm
Type: Contract work
Compensation: Hourly (paid bi-weekly)
Hours: Will vary based on studio and client workloads
INTERVIEW & HIRING PROCESS
The hiring process will be conducted in three rounds.
Round 1: Application
- You are required to submit a cover letter and resume.
- In your cover letter – if you can please tell me a little bit about your process, and any presets actions, and filters you use or are familiar with that would be great.
- In your cover letter – if you can please tell me a little bit about yourself and why you are unique. Please also use the words ATTENTION to DETAIL as I have written it.
- You will be required to submit a professional portfolio of your work.
- In your portfolio – I would like to see 3 Lightroom presets of your own creation. Please provide examples of your presets by showing a before and after gallery. It is important that the presets can work on multiple images, please show your preset’s capabilities of this in your before and after gallery.
- In your portfolio – I would like to see 5 to 10 examples of your most creative edits you have done such as (composites, HDRs, Advanced Retouching, or anything else you think is super cool).
- Each application will be reviewed by the JM Photography team and a selection of the applicants will be chosen to move on to the next round.
Round 2: Phone Interview
- This round will consist of two parts and will be with the studio owner Jeremy Martel and the Studio Manager/Portrait Photographer Cally Arsenault.
- The first part will be a face to face interview either in person at our studio or virtually over a Google Hangouts video call. This part of the interview will be largely character and personality based where we will learn more about you, your goals and the unique skills you bring to our studio.
- The second part will be an art test where you will be asked to perform various edits on a selection of image files provided for you. This can either be done on your own equipment or on our studio’s digital workstation.
- Everyone’s results will be reviewed and then a select few will be asked to move on to the next round.
Round 3: Face to Face interview
- This round will be a complete edit of a real wedding that has already been completed by our studio. The focus of this round will be to see how efficient you are at completing an entire edit as well as how closely you can match your work and image selections to the ones made by our owner Jeremy.
- This round will conclude with a full review of your work with our owners and once all remaining candidates have completed this round a final selection will be made.
For this position, we are looking for a minimum 2 years commitment to our studio. We are looking for this as there will be a significant investment made by our team in training you in our editing style and workflows.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE YOU
- Images and galleries to work on during the interview process.
- Google Hangouts video conference call link.
- If local to Calgary, any software and plugin’s you might need to complete the art test. We will arrange post interview, how to provide you with anything required for your job.