How to Prepare for your Event or Wedding During COVID-19
Preparing for your Event or Wedding During COVID-19
We wanted to provide you with some of the relevant information about COVID-19 and how to prepare for your day. As guidelines, restrictions and rules are subject to change over time we have provided a general description of the topic and a link to access the specific details. This page is for anyone who finds it and the vendors we work with at events. Each couple, company or group will receive this same info via an email directly to ensure they have access to it as their event date approaches.
We recommend that you review each topic in detail several times leading up to your event date. Use the following link to see the current case counts and hospitalization rates for Alberta. The current plan to re-open is directly tied to the hospitalization count.
Mask Wearing at your Event
Below you will find specific details regarding mask wearing for your event however here is a summary of our understanding of this right now. This applies to indoor and enclosed outdoor spaces. For most events this will likely only impact your ceremony (if indoors) or your reception. We have found that mask wearing is managed differently at each venue so please reach out to them as we find it is more strict at established venues, then say at a community hall or family property.
Where can I get Mask’s for my event?
Lots of people have asked where to get masks for their event. The following are links to some of the best masks we have seen.
For Couple and Adult Guests: https://packrightshield.com/order-here/p/harvest-moon-cup-an7hk
– I’m pretty sure they can make the chin support clear so definitely ask about this.
For all sections below, while these are our experiences based on what happened in 2020, it would be best to bring up any questions you might have regarding each topic directly with each venue you are working with.
The following two links will provide you with the most up to date information regarding mask requirements.
In Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/masks.aspx
At your Ceremony: (Indoors)
– Your Guests: Will be required to wear masks for the duration of the ceremony, unless otherwise stated by guidelines in the links above or by your venue.
– The Couple: By the guidelines currently in place, the couple and officiant would be required to wear masks. In our experience this has varied based on venue and point in time during the ceremony. Meaning, removing your masks during the first kiss, when stationary at the front, when speaking at the pulpit.
While this is currently not allowed (Jan of 2021) the following is what we experienced during the 2020 wedding season.
– The Couple and Guests: When seated at their table, they were allowed to take off their masks, but if they got up to walk to another table or go to the bathroom they needed to put their mask back on. This was also a requirement when the couple went around to chat with their guests.
Preparation for your event
City of Calgary COVID-19 Home Page
This is a great page that gives an overview of all things the City of Calgary is doing in response to COVID-19
Here are a few other links to resources specific to the City of Calgary.
– Face Coverings Bylaw: Click there to learn more
– Calgary Services (Opened or Closed): Click there to learn more
How to Help Prevent the Spread:
These are the steps everyone at your event can take to ensure your safety as well as the others attending. Sections to pay particular attention to would be:
– “Keep physical distancing”
– “Gather Safely”
– “Monitor your Symptoms”
Restrictions on Gatherings:
This section should be reviewed by all vendors and the couple just prior to your event day so everyone can make sure we are fully compliant with the requirements and guidelines. If there are any changes that impact your event, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. Currently the Alberta government has a detailed 4 step plan to re-open the province.
Sections to pay particular attention to would be:
– “Enforceable fines”
– “Indoor social gatherings”
– “Outdoor social gatherings”
– “Weddings and Funerals”
– “Health, social and professional services” (Photography portion)
If you have any guests that are traveling into Alberta for your event I would highly recommend you review the following page.
Social Distancing at Your Event
When it comes to our team it’s pretty easy for us to keep our distance so we will direct and lead any sessions from the required 6.5ft (2m) distance.
Self Check Before Attending an Event
Our team will be performing a self assessment the morning of, prior to attending and we would recommend you and all your guests do the same. It’s pretty easy to do and these are the steps we will be following.
- Check your temperature and make sure you don’t have one over 38°C (Normal: 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F))
- Make sure you don’t have any symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, runny nose or sore throat).
COVID-19 Symptoms: https://www.alberta.ca/covid-19-testing-in-alberta.aspx
We hope everyone is safe, healthy and able to maintain a positive outlook during such a difficult time. If there is anything we can do to help you out (even if it’s not photography related) please let us know, as we would be happy to help in any way we can.
Wishing everyone well,
Jeremy and the JM Studios Team 🙂
Services Available to Accommodate Smaller Groups
We have partnered with some great vendors to create a Petite Wedding Package for smaller events. We also have our wedding photography, videography and streaming services ALC, as well as our family portrait sessions, engagement sessions and event photography.
Here is an example video of one of our recently streamed events.
Learn more about our studio
JM Photography offers Calgary families the very best in portrait, event, and wedding photography! Our unique style and best in class experience is one of a kind. Each session is treated with the greatest of care and creativity, resulting in breathtaking imagery. We also offer Calgary newborn photography, capture maternity sessions, portraits and Calgary Wedding Photography.
We are one of the top studios in Western Canada, servicing the Calgary area, including but not limited to, Canmore, Banff, Cochrane, Chestermere, Airdrie, Lethbridge, and Red Deer. We also offer coverage in Edmonton, Vancouver and to destinations worldwide.